Re: PATCH: Fix 2.6 kernel ia64 directives

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-02-10 06:35:32

  >> "The assembler ignores the name operands of the
  >> directive."

  Jim> I'd call this is a bug in the manual.

Perhaps.

  Jim> Also, I'm told that current IAS gives an error in this case, which is
  Jim> why gas was modified to do likewise.  Unfortunately, I don't have access
  Jim> to IAS, or to the HP assembler, so I can not check that.  If this is
  Jim> wrong, then changing it to a warning certainly makes sense.

Why should it depend on IAS as to whether GAS does or does not produce
an error?  The fact is that GAS has _not_ in the past issued an error
and it's not acceptable to break existing code for no good reason.
Making it a warning is fine, of course.  That will alert people to the
fact that they may have an unintentional inconsistency in their code
and will let them fix the error at their convenience.  After enough
time has elapsed (at least a year), the severity could (and probably
should) be raised to an error.

Thanks,