RE: [rfc] generic allocator and mspec driver

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2005-02-04 08:40:27
>Aha, I  wasn't aware of this, I thought the region registers worked
>like some giant TLB. I'll add a flush for the granule when it's pulled
>into the allocator.

No, the Alt-DTLB miss handler in ivt.S will blindly insert TLB
entries to fix any faults in region 6 or 7 ... giving the illusion
that it's all mapped 1:1, but actually only a few granules will
have mappings at any given time.

Maybe this handler should consult a "granule bitmap" before the
insert to make sure it doesn't compound an error from a wild access
by creating a TLB entry pointing at something that should be left
unmapped?  But that would be a big piece of memory for a sparse
machine like an Altix, and an extra memory load in the Alt-DTLB
path.

-Tony