Re: Kernel 2.4.21 hangs up

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-02-02 04:46:43
[I trimmed the cc-list...]

  Baswaraj> Hi, I compiled kernel 2.4.21 with intel compiler .

That's curious.  Last time I checked, the changes needed to use the
Intel-compiler have not been backported to 2.4.  What kernel sources
are you working off of?

Also, even with 2.6 you need a script from Intel which does some
"magic" GCC->ICC option translations to build the kernel with the
Intel compiler.  AFAIK, this script has not been released by Intel
(hint, hint...).

  Baswaraj> While booting it hangs-up . further i found that it
  Baswaraj> hangsup due to call to "calibrate_delay" routine in
  Baswaraj> "init/main.c". Also found that loop in the
  Baswaraj> callibrate_delay" routine goes infinite.

I suspect your kernel was just miscompiled.  We have used the
Intel-compiler internally on a 2.6 kernel and it worked fine at the
time, though I haven't tried recently.