Re: [patch] fix per-CPU MCA mess and make UP kernels work again

From: Russ Anderson <rja_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-01-27 06:01:32
David Mosberger wrote:

> BTW: can you remind me why you want node-local MCA data?  Performance
> is probably not an issue.  Are you concerned about error-containment,
> hot-swap, or something else?

I'm not aware of a compelling functional reason that the MCA data
has to be node-local.  The key feature is that each CPU have a unique
MCA data area.  If all the MCA data areas are on one node, that
should be OK.  If a CPU cannot access MCA data memory on a remote
node, odds are we will die anyway.

It seems logical to me that MCA data be close to the node/cpu using
it, but workable if it is not.

--
Russ Anderson, OS RAS/Partitioning Project Lead
SGI - Silicon Graphics Inc          rja@sgi.com