Re: [patch] fix per-CPU MCA mess and make UP kernels work again

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-01-27 04:48:47

  Jesse> On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 6:47 pm, David Mosberger wrote:

  >> The patch has been compile- and boot-tested for zx1 UP and SMP.
  >> I think it should be OK for discontig configs, too, but I haven't
  >> tested that (and if anybody wanted to build discontig for UP,
  >> then discontig.c:per_cpu_init() would have to be updated like the
  >> contig.c version.

  Jesse> Did you see the last patch I posted for UP+generic support?
  Jesse> I *think* it fixes things in discontig.c somewhat correctly,
  Jesse> but I've asked Russ to take a look to make sure.

The patch just removes per_cpu_init() in the non-SMP-case.  That would
have to be changed to be in sync with the contig.c per_cpu_init().

Perhaps a better solution would be to disassociate the MCA allocations
from per_cpu_init().  For example, we could have a separate
alloc_per_cpu_mca_data() in {dis,}contig.c.

BTW: can you remind me why you want node-local MCA data?  Performance
is probably not an issue.  Are you concerned about error-containment,
hot-swap, or something else?