RE: optimize __gp location

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-01-26 06:51:46

  Ken> I don't have any benchmark result off hand.  But digging through recent
  Ken> data, for a well known db benchmark, GOT table access account to about
  Ken> 4% of total memory latency in the kernel.

4% actual CPU stalls or 4% of potentially overlapped stalls?

I'm not trying to be difficult.  It's just that GOT optimizations so
far haven't really paid off in any significant way in the benchmarks I
tried.  You'd think for some benchmarks it does make a significant
difference (even just based on a cache-pollution argument), I just
haven't seen it yet...