Re: Extend clear_page by an order parameter

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-01-25 03:37:15
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:
> >
> > The zeroing of a page of a arbitrary order in page_alloc.c and in hugetlb.c may benefit from a
> >  clear_page that is capable of zeroing multiple pages at once (and scrubd
> >  too but that is now an independent patch). The following patch extends
> >  clear_page with a second parameter specifying the order of the page to be zeroed to allow an
> >  efficient zeroing of pages. Hope I caught everything....
> >

> Sorry, I take it back.  As Paul says:
>
> : Wouldn't it be nicer to call the version that takes the order
> : parameter "clear_pages" and then define clear_page(p) as
> : clear_pages(p, 0) ?

> It would make the patch considerably smaller, and our naming is all over
> the place anyway...

Sounds good. Note though that this just means renaming clear_page to
clear_pages for all arches which would increase the patch size for the
arch specific section.

> I'd have thought that we'd want to make the new clear_pages() handle
> highmem pages too, if only from a regularity POV.  x86 hugetlbpages could
> use it then, if someone thinks up a fast page-clearer.

That would get us back to code duplication. We would have a clear_page (no
highmem support) and a clear_pages (supporting highmem). Then it may
also be better to pass the page struct to clear_pages instead of a memory address.