RE: optimize __gp location

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2005-01-22 12:02:52
>-  __gp = ADDR(.got) + 0x200000;
>+  __gp = _end - 0x200000;

Did we used to link the ".got" section earlier?  It's after "data" now,
but the expression used there might have made sense if ".got" was before
the "data".

_end - 0x200000 may work for you now, but won't this be very configuration
dependent?  If I configure lots of drivers with "=y" option, and they
declare lots of "bss" objects, then __gp may still be too high to reach the
interesting data objects.

Would an expression anchoring on the ".sdata" section be better?

-Tony