Re: [patch] Resched skip_rbs_switch to run 4 cycles faster on McKinley-type cores.

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-01-20 17:50:07

  Keith> Damn, I was in the middle of developing a patch against this
  Keith> area :(.

Oops.

  Keith> Instead of being garbage when the interrupted code was in the
  Keith> kernel, ar_bspstore and ar_rnat are set to zero.  The test
  Keith> for "do I skip_rbs_switch" changes from pUStk to "is saved
  Keith> ar_bspstore non-zero".

Wouldn't this prevent user-level code from setting ar.bspstore to
zero?  I'm not sure we should nail that into the kernel (by default
the first page is a NaT page, so it's not likely to be a real problem
as of today).

  Keith> Comments?

Libunwind does support multiple register backing-stores, but since we
cannot unwind across firmware, I'm not sure whether this by itself
would make your life easier.  If it would, let me know.