Re: pipe performance regression on ia64

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-01-19 16:11:18

  Nick> David I remember you reporting a pipe bandwidth regression,
  Nick> and I had a patch for it, but that hurt other workloads, so I
  Nick> don't think we ever really got anywhere. I've recently begun
  Nick> having another look at the multiprocessor balancer, so
  Nick> hopefully I can get a bit further with it this time.

While it may be worthwhile to improve the scheduler, it's clear that
there isn't going to be a trivial "fix" for this issue, especially
since it's not even clear that anything is really broken.  Independent
of the scheduler work, it would be very useful to have a pipe
benchmark which at least made the dependencies on the scheduler
obvious.  So I think improving the scheduler and improving the LMbench
pipe benchmark are entirely complementary.