Re: [patch] Remove limit on MCA recoveries

From: Keith Owens <kaos_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-01-18 08:18:47
On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:07:21 -0600 (CST),
Russ Anderson <rja@sgi.com> wrote:
>Hidetoshi Seto wrote:
>My only real complaint about the array is that the current size
>is too small.  The Altix error injection test (which can modify
>the ECC to create true memory uncorrectables) can recover from
>several hundred memory uncorrectable errors, when the array
>limitation is removed.  Making the array dynamic (linked list or
>something), so the size can be expanded would be a sufficient
>solution, too.

Do not even think about making the array a dynamic size.  MCA events
can occur even when interrupts are disabled, which means that in an MCA
you have no idea if any of the kernel structures are in a safe state or
not.  That in turn means that you cannot extend the array from MCA
context.  Page flags that indicate bad memory are the best way to go.