RE: new utility for decoding salinfo records

From: Mark Goodwin <markgw_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-01-12 07:53:56
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Ben Woodard wrote:
> 3) If there is a real failure, it shows up really quickly. We have all
> sorts of SBEs or MBEs. In that case we replace the DIMM immediately.
>
> So does anyone with "normal world" experience have any suggestions on
> how I should take into account the various perspectives?
>
> Do other people consider the isolated SBE a problem?

considered normal, fully recoverable.

> Do other people consider 1SBE/hr on a DIMM a real problem that needs to
> be fixed?

this is a concern if the failing DIMM ends up with uncorrectable MBEs.
Do you have any evidence that a relatively high rate of SBEs on a
DIMM can be used to predict that MBEs are likely to start occurring?
Memory hot-unplug or a bad-page reserving strategy based on such
prediction may be interesting.

-- Mark