Re: [patch] per cpu MCA/INIT fixes.

From: Russ Anderson <rja_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-01-07 07:50:12
Tony Luck wrote:

> I just applied and pushed Jack's patch to the test-2.6.11 tree, Russ, can
> you fix up your patch to apply cleanly on top of Jack's.

Yup.

> >> +#ifdef CONFIG_SMP
> >> +#include <asm/mca.h>
> >> +#endif
> >
> >Just a nit, header files should always be safe to include
> >unconditionally.  If they're not, the headers need fixing (barring out of tree
> >stuff like kdb of course).
>
> Agreed ... this looks really ugly ... surely we want to support MCA
> on uni-processors as well as SMP!  What's the issue that provoked
> adding the #ifdef here?

The only reason was that the changes are all in per_cpu_init() and
that routine is inside #ifdef CONFIG_SMP.

I built the patch with all configs in arch/ia64/configs, but now
see that they all have CONFIG_SMP=y.  (sigh)

Given all the infrastructure setup done under #ifdef CONFIG_SMP, would
it work with uni-processor?  I'll start digging through the code...

--
Russ Anderson, OS RAS/Partitioning Project Lead
SGI - Silicon Graphics Inc          rja@sgi.com