Re: Prezeroing V3 [1/4]: Allow request for zeroed memory

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2005-01-05 11:34:21
On Tue, 4 Jan 2005, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> This patch introduces __GFP_ZERO as an additional gfp_mask element to allow
> to request zeroed pages from the page allocator.

Ok, let's start merging this slowly, and in particular, this 1/4 one looks
pretty much like a cleanup regardless of whatever else happen, so let's
just do it. However, for it to really be a cleanup, how about making
_this_ part:

> +
> +		if (gfp_flags & __GFP_ZERO) {
> +#ifdef CONFIG_HIGHMEM
> +			if (PageHighMem(page)) {
> +				int n = 1 << order;
> +
> +				while (n-- >0)
> +					clear_highpage(page + n);
> +			} else
> +#endif
> +			clear_page(page_address(page), order);
> +		}

Match the existing previous part:

>  		if (order && (gfp_flags & __GFP_COMP))
>  			prep_compound_page(page, order);

and just split it up into a "prep_zero_page(page, order)"? I dislike
#ifdef's in the middle of deep functions. In the middle of a _trivial_
function it's much more palatable.

At that point at least part 1 ends up being a nice clean patch on its own,
and should even shrink the code-size a bit. IOW, it not only is a cleanup,
there is even a technical argument for it (even without worrying about the
next stages).

Hmm?

		Linus