RE: [patch] per cpu MCA/INIT save areas (take 2)

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2004-11-25 10:32:31
Nit: Patch needs to be applied with "patch -p2" ... rather
than the preferred "patch -p1".

The initialization of ar.k3 is quite messy, but when I tried
to fix it I saw why.  I thought that I could just initialize
it at the top of ia64_mmu_init() ... but that doesn't work because
you use it in efi_map_pal_code(), which is called long before
ia64_mmu_init().

Your patch initializes it for non-boot cpus in discontig.c, which
doesn't work for me because I have CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=n ... so
all my non-boot cpus die on a bad dereference in efi_map_pal_code().

We either need to
1) add a contig.c equivalent initialization
or
2) do something different in efi_map_pal_code() where we want to
save the TR_PALCODE data in per-cpu space.

I'd prefer '2' because then we can make the ar.k3 initialization
symmetric across boot and non-boot cpus ... but that leaves the
problem of where to stash the TR_PALCODE information :-(

-Tony