RE: [Lse-tech] scalability of signal delivery for Posix Threads

From: Boehm, Hans <hans.boehm_at_hp.com>
Date: 2004-11-23 08:26:28
Although I don't fully understand all the issues here,
I'm concerned about this proposal.  In particular, our
garbage collector (used by gcj, and Mono, among others)
uses signals to stop threads for each garbage collection.
With a small heap, and many threads, I would expect the
frequency of signal delivery to be similar to what you
get with performance tools.  But it does not, and should not,
use SIGPROF.

I think this is a more general issue.  Special casing one
piece of it is only going to make performance more surprising,
something I think should be avoided if at all possible.

Hans