Re: scalability of signal delivery for Posix Threads

From: Ray Bryant <raybry_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2004-11-23 06:25:09
Robin Holt wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 09:51:15AM -0600, Ray Bryant wrote:
>
>>We've encountered a scalability problem with signal delivery.  Our
>>application
>>is attempting to use ITIMER_PROF to deliver one signal per clock tick to
>>each
>>thread of a ptrheaded (NPTL).  These threads are created with CLONE_SIGHAND,
>>so that there is a single sighand->siglock for the entire application.
>

> Ray, can you provide a simple example application that trips this case?

I'll do that, but it may be after the Thanksgiving holiday when I get it
out to the mailing list.  It's a minor thing, but the test we are using
now is an OpenMP application (written in .c) and I'd propose rewriting
it using POSIX threads without OpenMP for a more general audience

--
Best Regards,
Ray