Re: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview

From: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 2004-11-20 18:29:27
William Lee Irwin III wrote:

>>>touch_nmi_watchdog() is only "protection" against local interrupt
>>>disablement triggering the NMI oopser because alert_counter[]
>>>increments are not atomic. Yet even supposing they were made so, the
>

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 05:49:53PM +1100, Nick Piggin wrote:
>
>>That would be a bug in touch_nmi_watchdog then, because you're
>>racy against your own NMI too.
>>So I'm actually not very very wrong at all. I'm technically wrong
>>because touch_nmi_watchdog has a theoretical 'bug'. In practice,
>>multiple races with the non atomic increments to the same counter,
>>and in an unbroken sequence would be about as likely as hardware
>>failure.
>>Anyway, this touch nmi thing is going off topic, sorry list.
>

> No, it's on-topic.
> (1) The issue is not theoretical. e.g. sysrq t does trigger NMI oopses,
> 	merely not every time, and not on every system. It is not
> 	associated with hardware failure. It is, however, tolerable
> 	because sysrq's require privilege to trigger and are primarly
> 	used when the box is dying anyway.

OK then put a touch_nmi_watchdog in there if you must.

> (2) NMI's don't nest. There is no possibility of NMI's racing against
> 	themselves while the data is per-cpu.

Your point was that touch_nmi_watchdog() which resets alert_counter,
is racy when resetting the counter of other CPUs. Yes it is racy.
It is also racy against the NMI on the _current_ CPU.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with NMIs racing against themselves,
I don't know how you got that idea when you were the one to bring up
this race anyway.

[ snip back-and-forth that is going nowhere ]

I'll bow out of the argument here. I grant you raise valid concens
WRT the /proc issues, of course.