Re: page fault scalability patch V11 [0/7]: overview

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2004-11-20 12:56:43
On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Nick Piggin wrote:

> The per thread rss may wrap (maybe not 64-bit counters), but even so,
> the summation over all threads should still end up being correct I
> think.

Yes. As long as the total rss fits in an int, it doesn't matter if any of
them wrap. Addition is still associative in twos-complement arithmetic
even in the presense of overflows.

If you actually want to make it proper standard C, I guess you'd have to
make the thing unsigned, which gives you the mod-2**n guarantees even if
somebody were to ever make a non-twos-complement machine.

		Linus