Re: removing mm->rss and mm->anon_rss from kernel?

From: Magnus Damm <damm_at_opensource.se>
Date: 2004-11-10 22:57:51
On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 17:04, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
>
> > Doing ps or top is not unusual at all, and the sysadmins should be able
> > to monitor their system in a reasonable way without crippling it, or even
> > effecting it significantly.
>
> Hmm.. What would you think about a pointer to a stats structure in mm,
> which would only be allocated if stats are requested by /proc actions? The
> struct would contain a timestamp which would insure that the stats are
> only generated in certain intervals and not over and over again. This
> would also make it possible to force a regeneration of the numbers.

I assume you mean that the mm->rss and mm->rss_anon counters have been
replaced with stat calculation on demand. Maybe it is possible to keep a
needs_update-flag with each vma instead. Then only the vma:s with that
flag set needs to be recalculated.

A nice feature would be to be able to assign each process/mm a stat
gathering mode - choose between no statistics, statistics updated every
N jiffy and real time statistics. Yeah, dream on.

/ magnus