Re: removing mm->rss and mm->anon_rss from kernel?

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2004-11-09 04:01:27
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> > Maintaining these counters requires locking which interferes with Nick's
> > and my attempts to parallelize the vm.
>
> Aren't you rather overestimating the importance of one single,
> ideally atomic, increment per page fault?

We would need to investigate that in detail. What we know is that if
multiple cpus do atomic increments with an additional spinlock/unlock etc
as done today then we do have a significant performance impact due to
exclusive cache lines oscillating between cpus.

> It's great news if this is really the major scalability issue facing Linux.

Not sure. This may just be a part of it.