Re: removing mm->rss and mm->anon_rss from kernel?

From: Erich Focht <efocht_at_hpce.nec.com>
Date: 2004-11-09 04:26:16
On Monday 08 November 2004 17:57, Diego Calleja wrote:
> El Mon, 8 Nov 2004 17:30:37 +0100 Erich Focht <efocht@hpce.nec.com> escribió:
>
> > You're talking about clusters, i.e. multiple running instances of the
> > operating system. I don't think anybody really wants to go far beyond
> > 512 nowadays. Application-wise 512 cpus/node isn't really needed (but
>
> <the newspaper guy>
>
> SGI is already building one of 1024 CPUs according to some sources:
> http://www.computerworld.com/hardwaretopics/hardware/story/0,10801,94564,00.html
>
> but...
>
> "Initially, Pennington said, the system will use two images of Linux -- one
> per 512 processors -- while it's being tested and configured. Later, all 1,024
> processors will address one image of the SGI Advanced Linux operating system
> being used."

1k is not really "far beyond" 512. I'm sure it's doable, but I doubt
that this (or bigger machines) will spread too much. The progress in
cluster interconnect technology and software is just too fast. Think
of price/performance and stability (MTBF accumulation) and judge
yourself. Sure, if Linux could survive breaking hardware, the story
might change.

> Also here ->
> http://www.sgi.com/company_info/newsroom/press_releases/2004/november/jaeri.html
> it talks about another supercomputer of 2048 CPUs, but I don't find clear
> if it's a cluster, or several images.

That was advertised to be a fraction of the Columbia machine, so a
cluster of big machines.

Erich