Re: removing mm->rss and mm->anon_rss from kernel?

From: Erich Focht <efocht_at_hpce.nec.com>
Date: 2004-11-09 03:30:37
On Monday 08 November 2004 17:04, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> Nope. The future of computing seems to be very high numbers of cpus.
> NASAs Columbia has 10k cpus and the new BlueGen solution from IBM is
> already at 8k.

You're talking about clusters, i.e. multiple running instances of the
operating system. I don't think anybody really wants to go far beyond
512 nowadays. Application-wise 512 cpus/node isn't really needed (but
sometimes nice to have, for marketting). Beyond problems with
scalability of the interconnect (and very uneven latency distribution)
bigger systems would accumulate a too small MTBF. When a broken CPU,
DIMM or other chip takes your entire >1k CPU-machine down, you'll
hapilly exchage it agains a cluster.

Erich