Re: [RFC] prefer allocations from nodes w/o CPUs

From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson_at_hp.com>
Date: 2004-11-05 04:22:04
On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 09:16 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Thursday, November 4, 2004 9:11 am, Alex Williamson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 08:57 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > > Small patch for the ia64 version of topology.h to make the zonelist
> > > building code prefer nodes w/o CPUs for allocations.  Do any platforms
> > > aside from Altix have nodes with only memory?  If not, then this will
> > > only affect sn2, otherwise I'm interested in hearing feedback.
> >
> >    Yes, hp sx1000 systems represent interleaved memory in a separate
> > node w/o cpus.
>
> So does this patch make sense for those platforms too?  Or do we need
> something fancier?  It'll make nodes w/o CPUs come before nodes with CPUs in
> the zonelist (after the local node of course), even if the nodes with CPUs
> are closer.

   That makes sense for us.  The interleaved memory should be somewhat
faster than truly remote memory.  Depending on the box configuration,
the interleaved memory node could be quite small and we'll run out
quickly, but better to make what use we can from it.  Thanks,

	Alex

--
Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab