Re: ia64 implementation of lib/iomap.c

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2004-10-27 03:06:51
On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Jesse Barnes wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is the case.  In fact when I last discussed this with
> Linus he indicated that an ioread shouldn't guarantee DMA completion either,
> which would mean we could reuse the read_relaxed stuff to implement it.

.. but other people disagreed with me.  I think the consensus was that DMA
completion _should_ be honoured, but if SGI knows that their machines are
not doing it right, and take on the responsibility for fixing drivers,
that's _their_ problem. You only need to care about a few drivers, after
all.

In short, I think of that DMA completion issue as a SGI-private
optimization, and _not_ a general rule.

			Linus