Re: [RFC] Convert pgtable cache to slab

From: Robin Holt <holt_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2004-10-14 05:49:29
On Wed, Oct 13, 2004 at 03:32:43PM -0400, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> Tony,
>
> Tony> What was the benchmark you were running when you measured these?
>
> I'm going to let Robin send you his test case.

Martin, can you send your updated test case.  I believe yours is just mine
with a higher resolution timer.  If you are uncomfortable with that, let
me know.

> Tony> How does this scale on big sn2 systems? I assume that the
> Tony> answers are going to be just fine as the slab allocator per-cpu
> Tony> lists should be just as nice as local quicklists, but it would
> Tony> be nice to see some data.
>
> The tests above are from a 64-way Altix.
>
> I'm still looking into the issue of freed data ending up in other
> nodes' slabs.  Don't know if anybody else have been working on this?

When I tried to measure these on a large multi-threaded job, the difference
got lost in the noise.

> >> The biggest caveat is that I've had to postpone setting up the gate
> >> page until the pgt slab has been initialized.  That wasn't an issue
> >> with the existing page-based allocation scheme.  David - how do you
> >> prefer I handle this?
>
> Tony> I don't see the code for this postponement in this patch.
>
> It's there.  End of the mm/init.c hunk.
>

> Tony> Perhaps "zero_cache" isn't as descriptive a name as it might be
> Tony> (not that I have any better suggestions :-(
>
> Yeah, this is what Bill called it on ppc64.  pgtable_cache perhaps?

If we are renaming things, can we rename zero_ctor to something a little
more sensible.