Re: [RFC] Convert pgtable cache to slab

From: Martin K. Petersen <mkp_at_mkp.net>
Date: 2004-10-14 05:32:43
>>>>> "Tony" == Luck, Tony <tony.luck@intel.com> writes:

Tony,

Tony> What was the benchmark you were running when you measured these?

I'm going to let Robin send you his test case.

Tony> How does this scale on big sn2 systems? I assume that the
Tony> answers are going to be just fine as the slab allocator per-cpu
Tony> lists should be just as nice as local quicklists, but it would
Tony> be nice to see some data.

The tests above are from a 64-way Altix.

I'm still looking into the issue of freed data ending up in other
nodes' slabs.  Don't know if anybody else have been working on this?

>> The biggest caveat is that I've had to postpone setting up the gate
>> page until the pgt slab has been initialized.  That wasn't an issue
>> with the existing page-based allocation scheme.  David - how do you
>> prefer I handle this?

Tony> I don't see the code for this postponement in this patch.

It's there.  End of the mm/init.c hunk.

Tony> Perhaps "zero_cache" isn't as descriptive a name as it might be
Tony> (not that I have any better suggestions :-(

Yeah, this is what Bill called it on ppc64.  pgtable_cache perhaps?

--
Martin K. Petersen	Wild Open Source, Inc.
mkp_at_wildopensource.com	http://www.wildopensource.com/