Re: rename generic_defconfig to defconfig?

From: Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas_at_hp.com>
Date: 2004-09-23 09:02:08
On Wednesday 22 September 2004 3:13 pm, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> Just thought I'd float the idea of making the ia64 defconfig into a generic
> ia64 kernel config.  It's probably easiest just to rename generic_defconfig
> to defconfig since that already works everywhere (well, except for akpm's box
> apparently).  That would make it extra easy to build a working kernel for the
> various ia64 boxes out there...

Sounds like a good idea to me.  If the idea is to make it as easy as
possible to build working kernels, maybe we should also make some
things static rather than modules.  For starters:

 CONFIG_TULIP (HP superdome core I/O and 4-port cards)
 CONFIG_E100  (i2000)
 CONFIG_E1000 (Tiger)
 CONFIG_USB_EHCI_HCD (HP boxes)
 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD (HP boxes)
 CONFIG_USB_HID

Or maybe I'm the only one who's too lazy to mess with modules
for every build.

I think generic_defconfig currently builds a McKinley kernel,
which may be the right thing, but you do have to remember
to switch back to CONFIG_ITANIUM for i2000.