Re: [Patch] Per CPU MCA/INIT data save areas

From: Russ Anderson <rja_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2004-09-17 04:33:13
Keith Owens wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:28:58 -0700,
> "Luck, Tony" <tony.luck@intel.com> wrote:
> >>Unless anyone has a better solution, I think Keith's suggestion is the
> >>next best alternative.  It is no worse than the current code=20
> >>(in terms of off-node access) and allows forward progress on the rest
> >>of the code.
> >
> >Take a look at the MCA-TLB recovery code.  It saves per-cpu
> >information in the "ia64_mca_tlb_list[]" array, and searches
> >through it for an entry that matches cr.lid at fault time.
> >
> >You could add extra element(s) to this structure for the percpu
> >areas.
>
> What about storing the physical address of the per-cpu data area in
> ar.k3?

Given that the MCA/INIT paths are (by definition) not hot paths,
and that CPU regs are a scarce resource, I think there are better
places to burn a CPU reg on.

Adding a pointer (or two) to the ia64_mca_tlb_info structure would
give the necessary functionality.

--
Russ Anderson, OS RAS/Partitioning Project Lead
SGI - Silicon Graphics Inc          rja@sgi.com