[Q] Why is compat_uid_t a u16 value?

From: Carlos O'Donell <carlos_at_baldric.uwo.ca>
Date: 2004-09-13 01:01:09
ia64-ml,

The ia32 emulation code is using 'unsigned int' for uid_t returned back
to userspace. While the compat.h definitions uses compat_uid_t, which
is defined as u16. Is this correct? I would assume that compat_uid_t
should be u32 under ia64.

Is there any reason it is currently defined as u16?
Is the compat.h definition of compat_uid_t ever used anywhere?

I'm testing some patches to cleanup compat code, but I noticed some
discrepancies in the ia64 definitions of compat.h.

Cheers,
Carlos.