Re: page fault scalability patch final : i386 tested, x86_64 support added

From: David S. Miller <davem_at_davemloft.net>
Date: 2004-09-03 06:10:57
On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 09:24:47 -0700 (PDT)
Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:

> Why was it done that way? Would it not be better to add the new
> functionality by giving the function another name?
>
> Like f.e. set_pte_mm()
>
> then one could add the following in asm-generic/pgtable.h
>
> #ifndef __HAVE_ARCH_SET_PTE_MM
> #define set_pte_mm(mm, address, ptep, pte) set_pte(ptep, pte)
> #endif
>
> which would avoid having to update the other platforms and woud allow a
> gradual transition.

In order for it to be useful, every set_pte() call has to get the
new args.  If there are exceptions, then it doesn't work out cleanly.

All of the call sites of set_pte() have the information available,
so implementing it properly in all cases is nearly trivial, it's
just a lot of busy work.  So we should get it over with now.

I did all of the generic code, it's just each platform's code that
needs updating.

And BTW it's not just set_pte(), it's also pte_clear() and some of
the other routines that need the added mm and address args.