Re: Problem with no mem_map arg to init functions change?

From: Randolph Chung <tausq_at_debian.org>
Date: 2004-09-03 02:10:02
> > If DISCONTIGMEM now works properly, I think VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP can disappear.
>
> Except that the former uses the latter, and that won't change without a bit
> more work.  Even then, CONFIG_NUMA and CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM are somewhat
> intertwined at this point, so using the discontig code to deal with a zx1
> memory layout isn't a good match.

fwiw we recently implemented CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM for parisc-linux to better
support N-class (and pa8800, which uses zx1). You are right that CONFIG_NUMA
and CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM are a bit intertwined, but it can be made to work
:)

For reference we are targetting these three memory layouts:
 * Astro: 0-3.75, 67.75-68, 4-64
 * zx1: 0-1, 257-260, 4-256
 * Stretch (N-class): 0-2, 4-32, 34-xxx

Astro and Stretch have been verified (up to 32GB, so 3 zones), zx1
verification is still pending, but i don't see why it wouldn't work (famous
last words? :)

randolph
--
Randolph Chung
Debian GNU/Linux Developer, hppa/ia64 ports