Re: Problem with no mem_map arg to init functions change?

From: Jesse Barnes <jbarnes_at_engr.sgi.com>
Date: 2004-09-03 01:33:41
On Thursday, September 2, 2004 8:05 am, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:10:30PM -0700, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> > You don't thave CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM set? Why are you bothering with
> > virtual mem_map if not? If the core helpers are insufficiently
> > lightweight in the CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=n case we are very well going
> > to have whatever sanction we need to repair it, as this is the common
> > case among end users of the most predominant hardware and architectures.
>
> Ah, basic lack of understanding of what VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP is used for
> and why it exists.  It should be exclusive with DISCONTIGMEM as they
> both solve the same problem, but in wildly different ways.

Well, on ia64 it's used *by* DISCONTIGMEM to deal with nodes that have sparse
memory layouts.

> If DISCONTIGMEM now works properly, I think VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP can disappear.

Except that the former uses the latter, and that won't change without a bit
more work.  Even then, CONFIG_NUMA and CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM are somewhat
intertwined at this point, so using the discontig code to deal with a zx1
memory layout isn't a good match.

Jesse