Re: compiling 2.4.21 vanilla kernel

From: Alex Williamson <alex.williamson_at_hp.com>
Date: 2004-09-03 01:25:16
   You're still applying the 2.4.21-ia64 patch, right?  There are a
couple things to check:

     1. The ia64 patch adds a -g build option, which makes all the
        binaries very large.  mkinitrd often silently fails if the
        modules don't fit in the ramdisk.  Use a '-v' option to mkinitrd
        to see if you're being bitten by this.  If you are, edit the
        mkinitrd script to make a bigger ramdisk (search for ia64) or
        build your kernel w/o -g.
     2. Seems like RH renamed one of the sym53c8xx scsi modules, but I
        forget the details.  You may not be loading the right scsi
        driver into your ramdisk.  Running mkinitrd w/ the '-v' option
        should shed some light on what's getting included.

If you're still having problem, please provide more details, like what
box this is and a console log of the failure.  Also, there are much
newer kernels out there than 2.4.21...

	Alex

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 12:00 +0100, gowda_avinash@emc.com wrote:
> All:
> I have been trying to boot of a vanilla kernel (2.4.21) which I compiled.
> When I boot of my new kernel I get this message
>
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
>
> This looks like a trivial booking keeping elilo.conf issue, but I am not
> able to figure out what the problem is.
>
> This is a snapshot of my elilo.conf
>

> <snip>
>
> prompt
> timeout=100
> default=2.4.21
>
> image=vmlinuz-2.4.21
>         label=2.4.21
>         initrd=initrd-2.4.21.img
>         read-only
>         append="root=LABEL=/"
>
> image=vmlinuz-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
>         label=hack
>         initrd=initrd-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL.img
>         read-only
>         append="root=LABEL=/"
>
> image=vmlinuz-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
>         label=2.4.21-15.0.4.EL
>         initrd=initrd-2.4.21-15.0.4.EL.img
>         read-only
>         append="root=LABEL=/"
>
> <snip>
>
> I am not able to boot off only the first one in the list.
>
> This is how I am compiling the kernel.
> make mrproper
> make clean
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make vmlinux
> I copied the vmlinux to /boot/efi/efi/Redhat (where all my images are) and
> Lastly did the mkinitrd.
>
> I am wondering where I am going wrong.
>

> TIA
>
> avinash
> -

Alex Williamson                             HP Linux & Open Source Lab