Re: page fault scalability patch final : i386 tested, x86_64 support added

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2004-08-28 14:24:32
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:
> >
> >  So I think the move to atomic for rss acceptable?
>
> Short-term, yes.  Longer term (within 12 months), no - 50-bit addresses on
> power5 will cause it to overflow.

I would expect the page size to rise as well. On IA64 we already have
16KB-64KB pages corresponding to 256TB - 1PB. Having to manage a couple of
billion pages could be a significant performance impact. Better increase
the page size.

I still would also like to see atomic64_t. I think there was a patch
posted to linux-ia64 a couple of months back introducing atomic64_t but it
was rejected since it would not be supportable on other arches.