Re: [RFC&PATCH 1/2] PCI Error Recovery (readX_check)

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2004-08-26 09:35:27
On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> Yup, but then, the user have to take care that behind a single "error
> checking" entity (a bridge for example), all devices have such drivers
> that honor the bridge-level locking and not their own.

Yes. I suspect that this all matters in places where you have pretty
strict hardware controls anyway, so it's likely not a big deal.

> On ppc64, I think we always have 1 bridge = 1 slot though, makes things
> easier (well, provided we don't start to try playing with error coming
> from slots on the g5).

Yes, I'd assume that most high-end hardware (ie the kind that people have
who care about these things in the first place) wants to minimize the
number of shared error reporting bridges anyway.

		Linus