Long Format VHPT patches

From: Ian Wienand <ianw_at_gelato.unsw.edu.au>
Date: 2004-08-25 12:34:39
Hi,

Having support for the IA64 long format VHPT is becoming an increasing
foundation for ongoing work such as superpages and TLB sharing
schemes, so we would like to get the following patches into a
development tree to start getting feedback and facilitate these other
projects.  Our testing shows them to be reliable.

The first two patches abstract ivt.S a little, creating a new header
ivt.h

01-sf-VHPT-macro-def-ivt.h.patch
02-sf-VHPT-macro-calls-ivt.S.patch

The next series of patches add the guts of using the long format vhpt

03-VHPT-hugetlb-support.patch
04-lf-VHPT-macro-def-ivt.h.patch
05-lf-VHPT-macro-calls-ivt.S.patch

The final patches add the support code and are fairly self explanatory

06-lf-VHPT-declarations.patch
07-lf-VHPT-initialise.patch
08-lf-VHPT-tlb-flush-dec.patch
09-lf-VHPT-tlb-flush.patch
10-lf-VHPT-mmu_context-dec.patch
11-lf-VHPT-kconfig.patch

The idea and original patches were by Matthew Chapman, and stewardship
passed to Darren Williams who got them to this stage.

I've attached all the patches (against 2.6.9-rc1) to this email as
they're not that big, but if you actually want to try them out it's
might be easier for many to grab them from cvs as in the footnote.

While the kernel is building you might like to also read the following
relevant paper :)

Matthew Chapman, Ian Wienand, Gernot Heiser
Itanium Page Tables and TLB
Technical Report UNSW-CSE-TR-0307, May 2003.
ftp://ftp.cse.unsw.edu.au/pub/doc/papers/UNSW/0307.pdf

Thanks,

-i
ianw@gelato.unsw.edu.au
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au

--- A note on our patches in CVS ---

If you would like to try them out quickly, we would encourage you to
just grab the always latest versions from our CVS and use quilt to
apply them, i.e. in a fresh kernel directory do

cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@gelato.unsw.edu.au:/gelato login
[anoncvs]
cvs -d:pserver:anoncvs@gelato.unsw.edu.au:/gelato co -d patches lvhpt

then use 'quilt push -a' to push all patches, build and run as usual.