apparent sn_console deadlock

From: William Lee Irwin III <wli_at_holomorphy.com>
Date: 2004-08-03 20:59:49
I seem to be having trouble around the switchover from sal_console_early
to sal_console on an Altix with 2.6.8-rc2-mm2. As I've been out of the
ia64 loop for a while, I figured it might be good to check in and see
if this is a known issue or some easily-recognizable gaffe before going
through too much trouble to debug it.

The apparent failure mode is some kind of deadlock and/or loss of
console output. Userspace doesn't make progress to normal booting (as
it would if the console were merely misdirected), though it's not
directly observable. system logs and other indicators show no trace
of userspace having run on 2.6.8-rc2-mm2.

Bootlog (altix.log.7.gz) and .config attached. Also attached is a
bootlog from a small attempt not to switch out of sal_console_early
(altix.log.9.gz) i.e. bailing out of sn_sal_serial_console_init()
immediately without registering or unregistering consoles or doing
anything.

Thanks.

-- wli