RE: Questions on the stack for IA64

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2004-04-14 15:19:47

  Rahul> Does the compiler ever touch this backing store?

Not directly.

  Rahul> I believe it is used during a stack unwind?

Yes (as is the memory stack and the registers).

  Rahul>         printf("", a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n,
  Rahul> o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z, aa, bb, cc, dd, ee, ff,
  Rahul> gg);

  Rahul> As you can see, almost all the parameters are being "st4'd"
  Rahul> to memory. From the architecture specification, shouldn't all
  Rahul> these be moved into registers? I have a total of much lesser
  Rahul> than 96 parameters?

You need to look at the software conventions & runtime architecture guide:

  http://www.intel.com/design/itanium/downloads/245358.htm

It specifies that up to 8 registers are used for argument passing.

There are also some fine books that might help you get started. ;-)

Interested in learning more about IA-64 Linux?  Try http://www.lia64.org/book/