Re: 32 bit application on IA-64 Linux

From: Grant Grundler <iod00d_at_hp.com>
Date: 2004-04-12 15:13:58
On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 09:21:50PM -0700, Srikanta R wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to compile a 32 bit application on a IA-64
> Linux system, that will run on IA-64 system. I didn't
> find any such option for the compiler on IA-64 Linux
> system. Can someone suggest how can I get this done ?

AFAIK, only HPUX supports a 32-bit ia64 environment with
the HPUX compiler/toolchain.

Either build it on an ia32 system and install the ia32 compat libs
on the ia64 machines (poor performance) or try to build the application
as a native 64-bit application (better performance).

Sorry, but the obvious question is If you really only need 32-bit,
why not run it on a fast ia32 machine?

I know a few other reasons one might port to ia64 besides 64-bit
but would like to hear your reasons.

grant