Re: [RFC] readX_check() - Interface for PCI-X error recovery

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2004-04-06 21:51:45
On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 08:04:49PM +0900, Hidetoshi Seto wrote:
> - Resources newly required:
>
>     on struct device:
> 	error flag
> 	list of recoverable physical address regions

Can't you just use the pci_dev->resource regions for this?

> 	pointer to host bridge of the device

Again, there's already ways of getting to this from the pci_dev.
Simply wander up through pdev->bus->self until you get to a self that
is NULL and you've found a root bus.  Alternatively, you might just look
at PCI_CONTROLLER() on ia64.

>     on per_cpu:
> 	list of currently checking devices
>

> - Interfaces newly required:
>
>     clear_pcix_errors(dev)
> 	Clear the error flag of the dev, and start to check the device.
> 	This also clears the status register of its host bridge.

For consistency, how about naming these functions pci_clear_errors()
and pci_check_errors()?  PCI-Express has similar error-checking abilities
and I'd hate to see two extremely similar capabilities at war with each
other over unacceoptable names ;-)

>     readX_check(dev,vaddr)
> 	Read a register of the device mapped to vaddr, and check errors
> 	if possible(This is depending on its architecture. In the case of
> 	ia64, we can generate a MCA from an error by simple operation to
> 	test the read data.)
> 	If any error happen on the recoverable region, set the error flag.

I really don't think we want another readX variant.  Do we then also
add readX_check_relaxed()?  Can't we just pretend the MCA is asynchronous
on ia64?  I'm sure we'd get better performance.