linux IA 64 kernel does not load

From: Surekha.PC <surekhap_at_cisco.com>
Date: 2004-04-01 16:46:11
 Hi,

 I am attempting to boot my itanium 64-bit machine using 2.4.20 linux IA 64
kernel. I followed the following steps to compile the kernel using gcc 2.94:
Install the linux 2.4.20 kernel sources Apply the IA 64 kernel patch Compile
the kernel using the following commands:-
    export LANG=C
    make mrproper
    make CC=/usr/bin/gcc.org menuconfig
    make CC=/usr/bin/gcc.org dep clean vmlinux

Then, I manually copied the vmlinux and System.map from
/usr/src/linux-2.4.20/ into /boot/efi/ and created the corresponding links
to vmlinuz and initrd.img into /boot.
Also, there is no lilo but elilo. So I had to boot the machine, go into the
EFI shell and bring the new vmlinuz-2.4.20 entry in the elilo.conf file into
effect. However, on selecting vmlinuz-2.4.20 at the elilo prompt, the system
hangs at the first step itself. It displays "Loading linux-2.4.20 .... \"
and hangs in the load process itself.

Thanks and appreciate any help,
Surekha