Re: Migrate pages from a ccNUMA node to another - patch

From: Dave Hansen <haveblue_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2004-03-31 01:18:05
On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 03:39, Zoltan Menyhart wrote:
> Dave Hansen wrote:
> >
> > Have you considered any common ground your patch might share with the
> > people doing memory hotplug?
>
> Comparing my stuff to their work, I just do some small performance enhancements:
>
> - I do not modify a single line on the existing VM paths - if my stuff has no
>   improvement for you, then yo will not be obliged to pay any overhead
> - I handle only the simplest case: private anonymous pages (...a singe PTE...)

By not modifying a single line in the existing VM path, your patch
simply duplicates functionality from that existing code, which I'm not
sure is any better.

I think there's a lot of commonality with what the swap code, NUMA page
migration, and memory removal have to do.  However, none of them share
any code today.  I think all of the implementations could benefit from
making them a bit more generic.

-- Dave