Re: [2/3] Use insert_resource in pci_claim_resource

From: Matthew Wilcox <willy_at_debian.org>
Date: 2004-03-20 01:52:12
On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 09:56:00AM +0000, Russell King wrote:
> I think we want to preserve the existing behaviour rather than change
> it.  We really do want to request the device resource against its
> immediate parent because that is the way PCI works - if a devices
> resources don't fall within the parent bus resources, we want to
> know about it.
>
> May I suggest that ia64 sets the parent bus resources appropriately,
> which should relieve this problem (iow, pci_root_bus->resource[0..3])?
> If pci_find_parent_resource() is returning the wrong thing, its likely
> that other users of this function will also be getting the wrong answer.

I see what's going on ... pci_read_bridge_bases() returns immediately
because this is the root bus.  So we need to point the root bus resources
elsewhere ...  this looks doable.

But I do think insert_resource is the right call to make.  If the device has
the wrong resources, that means something's gone awfully wrong earlier in
the pci code.