RE: cat /proc/acpi/events bad for your system's health!

From: Yu, Luming <luming.yu_at_intel.com>
Date: 2004-03-13 13:20:46

>   Luming> I confirm this issue here on tiger with 2.6.4-rc3 kernel ,
>   Luming> but 2.4 is ok.  Not sure this is a regression.
>
>   >>  OK.  I assume you (or Len) will take care of it?
>

>   Luming> The following patch make crash on my tiger gone.  However I
>   Luming> didn't dig out the true culprit.  Maybe this is due to
>   Luming> excessive optimization.
>
>   Luming> BTW, my gcc version is 3.2.3 .
>
> The patch is fine as a temporary workaround, but surely we need to
> find out the root cause of this problem.  It sounds like there is a
> race somewhere.  I suppose it's possible that it's a compiler problem,
> but I rather doubt it.  Are you doing to dig deeper into it?  If not,
> please let me know.
>
> 	--david

The main difference with 2.4 is signal_pending. From ACPI log, I also
noticed that
the thread waiting on acpi_bus_event_queue didn't resume proberly,
because there
is no exit message of acpi_bus_receive_event in ACPI log  as expected if
you turn on
full debug flag of acpi.

PS. I don't have access to the machine right now.

--Luming