Re: [linux-usb-devel] Re: serious 2.6 bug in USB subsystem?

From: David Brownell <david-b_at_pacbell.net>
Date: 2004-03-10 13:53:58
David Mosberger wrote:

> Anyhow, I have been wondering since about Sunday whether it's really
> safe to write HcControlHeadED (and HcBulkHeadED) with 0.  The register
> description itself is ambiguous.  Now I'm finding that Figure 6-5
> "List Service Flow" and Section 6.4.2.2 "Locating Endpoint
> Descriptors" are outright contradictory!

OHCI isn't as tightly specified as one might like.  There are also
differences in how vendors implemented it (notably initialization);
but at least there don't seem to be major incompatibilities that
crept in between implementations.

> So, if the HC behaves as described in the text, then there is an
> obvious race:
> So I changed ohci-q.c ... to this:
>
> 	if (ed->ed_prev == NULL) {
> 		if (!ed->hwNextED) {
> 			ohci->hc_control &= ~OHCI_CTRL_CLE;
> 			writel (ohci->hc_control, &ohci->regs->control);
> 		} else

(added the ELSE)

> 			writel (le32_to_cpup (&ed->hwNextED),
> 				&ohci->regs->ed_controlhead);
> 	} else ...
>
> and now there are no more crashes when plugging in the BTC keyboard.

Interesting.  I had those "else"s in the patch I was testing too,
and they were literally the last "is this really needed?" change I
removed before posting that patch yesterday.  I had tested it on
four different implementations of OHCI (two on SMP) and the "else"
didn't make a difference ... as it might not, given the race
you identified.   This is a good example of something better
found with a fresh set of eyes looking at spec and code!

Looks like that's really needed then!  Whose OHCI silicon are
you testing with, by the way?  Good catch, regardless.

- Dave