Re: Fix staircase effect on Altix serial console.

From: Andreas Schwab <schwab_at_suse.de>
Date: 2004-03-03 21:57:21
jbarnes@sgi.com (Jesse Barnes) writes:

>>   Andreas> Serial console output on Altix didn't convert NL to CRNL.
>>
>> Somebody from SGI will have to review/OK this.
>
> Andreas, on which platform and configuration did you see this problem?

It's on the 8P Altix (can't remember the exact platform name).

> It appears that depending on your console configuration, the system
> controller will eat/convert characters.  I'm trying to get it fixed
> properly there...

The system controller should not change the output in any way.  It's the
job of the serial console write function (which is used for printk) to
transform NL to CRNL, which is what I have implemented here.  Note that
normal serial output (which goes through the tty layer) does not exhibit
this problem.

Andreas.

SuSE Linux AG, Maxfeldstraße 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany