Issues regarding memory hole.

From: <dhruv.anand_at_wipro.com>
Date: 2004-03-02 01:43:42
Hi,
I am booting with the 2.6.1 kernel on Itanium2 machine.
The page granularity is set to 16MB for the kernel.

After normal boot of the kernel, I observe a memory hole
from 1-16MB. Why is this usable memory region discarded
as a memory hole?

As per my understanding, the kernel requires contiguous
Write-Back memory for allocation. Is this the only reason?

Can this memory be reused after the kernel has booted?

Regards
Dhruv.