RE: [Patch] speed up interrupt handling

From: Peter Chubb <peter_at_chubb.wattle.id.au>
Date: 2004-02-28 21:21:00

Asit> The patch is fine but I will be concerned about using
Asit> disable/enable (masking and unmasking at IOAPIC) especially for
Asit> edge triggered interrupts. There is a possibility of loosing
Asit> interrupts. The user handler handles the device interrupt with
Asit> this interrupt masked. A new interrupt could be generated by the
Asit> device while the interrupt is still masked. This new interrupt
Asit> if edge triggered will be lost since IOAPIC does not keep
Asit> pending interrupts. Level triggered interrupts should be ok.
Asit> Thanks, Asit

The in-kernel handling for edge-triggered interrupts already has this
problem, as far as I can tell.  However, for the more modern IA64
platforms as far as I know there *are* no edge-triggered interrupts,
so it shouldn't be a problem.

PeterC