RE: [Patch] speed up interrupt handling

From: Peter Chubb <>
Date: 2004-02-28 08:27:40

Peter> Nope, DP83820.  I'm benchmarking a driver that runs in
Peter> userspace against the in-kernel driver; both benefit from the
Peter> interrupt speedup.

David> So why is irq enabling/disabling on the critical path for this
David> driver?

Because IRQs are disabled for every hardware interrupt, and enabled after each
interrupt returns.  So the latency between hardware interrupt and the
driver seeing the interrupt *was* (prepatch) around 5 microseconds;
minimum latency between interrupts was around 10 microseconds.
This is time on a busy system to run out of receive buffers (you can
get a new packet every 640ns with minimum-sized packets, and it takes
time to process each packet)

With the patch minimum time between interrupts should drop to around 2us,
but I need to measure it again.

Dr Peter Chubb  peterc AT
The technical we do immediately,  the political takes *forever*
the body of a message to
More majordomo info at